Old 20-01-2015, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default "For All the Tea in China"

Todd wrote:
songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:

vastly OT...

i used to have a selection of about 30 teas handy,
now i have two. i get too jittery from caffiene, so
what caffiene i get comes from chocolate.

Coffee gives me a belly ache and makes me jittery weird.
Tea and Cocoa, no problem. I even find Tea helps me sleep
before bed time. Interesting how all of us vary.

yep. i used to drink about half a cup of
coffee every day during the week at work and
would have a headache every Sunday. i love
the tastes of some of the varieties but a fair
number just smell like skunk to me.

(when i was at the university i worked full-time as a
programmer and also most of my course work was programming
-- 70-100hr weeks weren't unusual).

Been there. Total burn out. Wish I had never done it.

15 years almost to the day for me. i left right
about when the web was getting started. have always
done programming since then, but stuff that i've
wanted to do for fun.

20+ years ago I coded tons in Modula2. Now I mainly code
in BASH for myself and sometimes for a customer with
a Linux machine. Sometimes I will code in Windows batch
for customers (what a nightmare language).

I wrote and maintain a sweet batch rotator for Cobian Backup
that I use all the time. Finds backup drives by their label
and has the fastest mass directory deleter I have ever seen.

Someday, someday, I will learn Perl.

Just some trivia, if you have ever done any bash programming,
this is how to find the revision number of a Windows exe program
in Linux:

$ wine FileVer.exe mbam-rules.exe | awk '{print $5}'
2013.3.1.1

i don't usually do anything with windows these days.
the last time i did anything remotely was to use dosemu
to run an old spreadsheet program.

bash is fun, i do a fair amount of that for various
things. the past few years i've used it to build a
testing framework for two C programs that talk back and
forth to each other (rogue, rogomatic).

http://www.anthive.com/rog/rog.html
http://www.anthive.com/rog/other/things.html

i don't know which language i've written the most in
probably either C or Pascal, but as a CS student and
with the number of courses i had it wasn't uncommon
to learn several new ones in each class.

i have dabbled with python a little but that's about
all the past few years. more interested in doing other
things than learning yet another version of the same.

songbird