Old 22-01-2015, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Flower sprouts or kalettes

On 22/01/2015 15:10, michael wrote:
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:34:08 PM UTC, michael wrote:
I have just bought some seeds of Flower sprouts from DT Browns,as I was impressed by the discussion in the weekend papers.
Has anyone on this forum any experience of growing this hybrid between brussel sprouts and kale? I am assuming that the growing season is similar to late sprouts.
Michael

I get the feeling that no one has yet tried flower sprouts. Brussel tops,which are one of my favourite greens, are the top growth of a normal brussel sprout plant.Blown sprouts are normal sprouts which are blown,probably because the soil was not compacted on planting.
Flower sprout or kalette is a totally different plant.It has been produced by research at a British company called Tozers (the company that produced Gladiator F1 parsnips) and is a cross (not GM)between kale and brussel sprout.The plant grows like a normal brussel sprout plant but with small florets where sprouts on normal brussel sprout plants are.
Apparently the florets taste rather like spring cabbage,and are extremely popular in the US.They are now being sold at top end supermarkets (Sainsburys and Waitrose)and are expensive (£1.50 for 200g)
So I have some seed,and will plant half a dozen plants this season.
I was just wondering if anyone here had already grown some.
Michael

Just found them on line. There are a couple of reviews there that I'm
sure will be of interest to you. They do look good. I'm tempted to try
some myself. Thanks for posting about them.

http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/brussel-...FcfItAodkG8AJg

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London