Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
David G. Bell

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Thursday, in article

"Bootlaces" wrote:

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message

snip
Cash Income distribution, all farms
HHHHHHHHHHHH £0 (12%)
HHHHHHHHHH £0-£5,000 (10%)
HHHHHHHHHH £5,000-£10,000 (10%)
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH £10,000-£20,000 (20%)
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH £20,000-£30,000 (14%)
HHHHHHHHH £30,000-£40,000 (9%)
HHHHHHH £40,000-£50,000 (7%)
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH £50,000+ (19%)
Average Cash Income £31,462 per farm

I appear to have a problem with the summation of the %ages - they add up to
101.

Not a problem -- it's a common consequence of rounding-off percentages.

Sorry if I've missed something as I haven't been paying that much attention
to this thread, but...

Are there any actual absolute numbers rather than %ages?

Is there any finer detail on the £50k+ section?

Checking the figures in Nix for the distribution of farm size, the GBP
50k section is more than the number of farms over 100 Ha. It's not at
all clear that there is a reliable mapping between Cash Income and size,
but GBP 500 per Hectare seems pretty good going.

Just putting off a tractor replacement for a year could be worth GBP 25k
on Cash Income, which is one reason why I'm sceptical about this as an
indicator of long term prospects.

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.