Old 24-01-2015, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default The time has come ...

to start planting for this year's garden . I'll be getting my shelf
(actually an old table top screwed to the window sill) set up today and
fresh potting soil in the pods from last year this weekend . All the
materials are now on hand for the hot box I plan for the south side of the
house - thanks to a great neighbor who gave me several pieces of leftover
plywood siding . His seedlings will be free ...
The last 2 years have taught me a lot about gardening up here , I have
high hopes for a bountiful harvest . Some changes in what I'll grow , no
sense in growing stuff that's cheap at the store like potatoes and onions .
More focus on the stuff we use a lot of , like tomatoes for sauces and fresh
greens . Another change I want to make is to supplement the light from the
window - I believe part of the reason some of my stuff last year was spindly
is because of the type of glass in the window . It has a "visible
transmittance" of .65 , which I believe means we're only getting 2/3's of
the light thru that glass . Hmm , I need to start looking at/for grow
lights - though I may pull one of the fixtures from my shop for this purpose
, just buy bulbs .
--
Snag
Now if only someone would invent a plant that grows rib steaks ...