Old 24-01-2015, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Supplemental lighting

George Shirley wrote:
On 1/24/2015 9:23 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
As mentioned in my last post , I don't believe my seedlings get
enough light due to the type of insulated glass in the window . I
have a 250 watt halogen work light and wonder if that will work as a
supplemental light source . I can hang it from the ceiling above the
shelf so that I can adjust the height - these lights do put out
quite a bit of heat , which may be beneficial for the sprouting
phase . Just an idea to use what I have instead of spending money
for a single-purpose device . We also have several house plants that
seem to be doing fine with just the usual room lighting , none of
them are near a window ... but I don't have a fixture suitable for
hanging CFL's above the seedling shelf .

I live in a temperate climate, aka Boggy Bottom, aka Houston, TX. My
halogen light gets used the most in the garage shop during the winter
as it puts out enough heat to give you a sunburn. You might not want
to use halo for growing seedlings.

Years ago I bought a two tube 48" fluorescent shop light, one that
plugs into an outlet. Put in a daylight tube and a sun tube and grew
out veggies from seed for years that way. Dirt cheap way to do it and
the CFL tubes lasted for all those years.

There goes that 2-tube T12 fixture over the shop door ... just now called
the local hardware/lumber store , they have 48" grow lamps for 8 bux each .
We be jammin'!

--
Snag