Old 25-01-2015, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Poor scent

On 2015-01-23 17:09:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

A customer came in yesterday who said that, no matter what she bought,
or where, scented plants seem always to lose their scent once she gets
them into her garden. Even her Daphne bholura 'Jacqueline Postill' is
poorly scented. She says friends have said the same of their gardens
and have been told it's because of the time of soil they have. Warmth
makes no difference, apparently. Has anyone else experience of this,
or heard of soil making a difference to scent?

It has to be something about conditions they are growing in, possibly
nutrients.
I say that as, and I have mentioned this before, many years ago my wife
used to ensure there was a vase of flowers in the house, normally spray
carnations which had no smell at all as bought. I noticed as I arranged
them that a few had offshoots that could be used as cuttings so I took
them potted them up as any gardener would and when rooted plated them
out on our allotment. That meant they grew hard in an open position
with no care at all other than weeding. When they eventually started
flowering the next season they all had that glorious clove like scent
missing from their parents and it was strong too. Can only have been
the difference in the way they were grown.
Too much fertiliser or rich soil perhaps?

Could be - definitely another possible theory. I wonder if any of those
are grown hydroponically?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com