Old 26-01-2015, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Supplemental lighting

Gary Woods wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

There goes that 2-tube T12 fixture over the shop door ... just now
called the local hardware/lumber store , they have 48" grow lamps
for 8 bux each . We be jammin'!

I'll suggest one upgrade: Change the ballast in that cheap shoplite
to a solid state one. I measured about a third less power
consumption, so doesn't take forever to justify the cost, and the
solid state ballasts don't need the lamp's filament to start, so can
use lamps that you thought were "dead."

Today while I was in town I picked up a pair of 48" gro-lux bulbs - and a
new fixture for them . I'll be mounting it under the shelf I have the trays
on now , with a shield to shade the .light from bothering us and some means
of protecting the floor under it . When I got home my package of 100 4"
round pots was waiting for me in the carport ... I think I might almost be
ready for spring now .

Snag

And I did a hive inspection today too , the bees are doing well and have
stored honey to eat .

C'mon Spring !