Old 27-01-2015, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default tom-tato?

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 7:27:50 PM UTC-8, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
[snipped]
.... of course human manure composting will help increase
soil nutrients too. if your family is healthy and doesn't use
hormones or chemotherapeutics then composted poo/pee is a valuable
resource. hard to get people to accept it, but there is no reason to
not use such a valuable resource if you can learn to do it safely (the
humanure handbook is freely available on-line). it just freaks
out people though so most gardeners won't do it (but they will use
composted cow manure from sources they know much less about than
their own family, so go figure...). if you build in a long enough
cycle there is no problem from disease organisms and if you are
very paranoid you can even use it as a subsoil amendment (buried
deeply again) and that will cover all remaining issues.

The amount of nutrient in human manure is minimal compared with that in
urine. I have been practicing 'micturition farming' for decades now and have
had excellent results. It is very easy to do (especially when compared with
the use of solid manure) and appeals to my sense of the cyclic nature of
things and my abhorrence of waste in general.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ve-fertilizer/

I just keep a bucket next to the toilet and use it for urine, emptying it
into a watering can and diluting with water at least 10:1 (often with used
aquarium water for that added nutrient boost). The sooner it's used the
better or the urea will degrade into ammonia and become less bio-available.
People who know me are amazed at my horticultural successes but I don't
often share my secret as people can have totally irrational opinions of
certain things.
--

Err.... can't you just go out in the garden and....
Or if that would be too concentrated, dilute with dihydrogen monoxide from a hose?

Not presuming to ask who else shares facilities...

HB