Old 28-01-2015, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default chicken poop

On 1/28/2015 2:23 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Have a new customer who claims she has the best
organic eggs in the county. Which means a great
source of organic chicken poop may be available
to me.

1) how to I get it home with out getting
chicken poop all over my car? Is it hazardous
if inhaled, etc.?

2) once I get it home, what do I do with it? Dig
it under a few months before it is time to plant?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Many thanks,
-T

Put it in big bags or in a wash tub, even some of those big plastic
containers from the big box stores will work. DO NOT INHALE CHICKEN POOP
DUST, wear a dust mask when handling. It is very high in nitrogen and
needs to be composted before using in the garden. Mix it in with chopped
tree leaves, grass clippings, even old hay or something similar. I used
to put sawdust under the chicken roost and then the chickens would
scratch in it and mix it well. Seeded it with red wigglers and they
helped with composting. If you put the "hot" poop on your active garden
it will "burn" the plants and you will lose them.

Learned even more when our son was a line foreman on a chicken
production line for now defunct Holly Farms in East Texas. They
processed about a million chickens a month and the offal went to make
dog food and the feathers went to composting. Useful critters chickens.

Do a little online research on how to handle animal manures of any kind.
The stuff you're getting being organic helps.