Old 29-01-2015, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Asparagus

On 1/28/2015 11:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 1/28/2015 5:08 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 1/28/2015 10:20 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
reasonably good drainage, fairly high level of
organic matter, sandy loam, spacing as recommended by
package, i may plant a few inches deeper than the
package recommends in an arid climate with hot summers
and also make sure to top dress the area with more
organic materials at the end of each season to help
hold the soil moisture in and to keep the OM levels
high.

there are new varieties available that have an
earlier growing cycle, you may want to find some of
these to add along with others to have an extended
harvest.

songbird

I still remember walking the fence lines and ditches on m y
grandfather's farm in the spring picking Asparagus . Didn't like it
then , and don't now . I tell my wife that I'll cook it for her if
she'll cook liver for me ... she refuses ! I mean , just because it
makes her nauseus ...
I'm with you, will eat asparagus occasionally but have always liked
liver, no matter what sort of critter it came out of. Hard to even
find liver in the Houston area unless you can find a real butcher
shop, which I just ran across one. Will be going back for liver
soon. My wife likes asparagus and liver and pretty much will eat
anything. As the middle child of five, two older brothers and two
younger sisters, with the two boys being very large, she had to
scrap for her food at the table.
Wife grew up in rural Maryland and picked wild asparagus along the
creek side.

Back in the sixties, when we were a young married couple I bought
all of our meat of any kind from a local butcher that I had grown up
with. Also took the calves we raised to him for butchering and
packaging. Hard to find those types of butchers anymore.

Discovered today that both of the grow light bulbs were defunct,
just ordered a new one online. Getting close to seed starting time.

George

I've already got san marzano tomatoes , basil and oregano
sprouting . Tomorrow I'll be fabricating mounts and hanging my
brandynew grow light fixture over the shelf the trays are on . Time
to fill those half-TP-tubes with soil and get some marigolds started
. And more herbs and a few bee-friendly varieties .

We're adopting your TP roll philosophy Terry, cheaper than peat pots
and we do run through a lot of toilet paper. G New grow light comes
in Friday and we will be starting seeds on Saturday.

George

George , this works so well it'll freak you out . By the time you need a
bigger pot for the seedling , the roots are coming out the bottom and the
lower 2/3rds of the tube have mostly decomposed . All ya gots down there is
a big ol' root ball . I have a hundred 4" round plastic pots waiting ... and
big bag of potting soil .
BTW , don't let them go too long , you'll have a morass of intertwined
roots down there , needing scissors to part them - DAMHIKT .

We will probably be planting in ground in late February or early March,
we're in USDA heat zone 8b so it won't be long.