Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Codger

Default Harvest worker required (UK)

"Dave Roberts" wrote in message
In article , Oz
writes
Oz writes

We need a worker to drive tractors.

Response : zero.

Let's face it, would anyone here *really* want Oz as a boss ?

Not having met Oz I wouldn't know. His postings in this group suggest
he could be a bit of a sod, he holds some very strong opinions but has
considerable knowledge over a wide area. He also appears to like a
good discussion (strong argument), will probe hard looking for
weaknesses in your argument but will often accept another viewpoint,
once he has satisfied himself that you know what you are talking
about. However it is dangerous to categorise people on the basis of
such limited knowledge. He could be a very good boss although I
suspect he expects his employees to be competent at their work and
would extract his "pound of flesh". If I wanted a job as a tractor
driver, or even if I just wanted a job, I would apply. In the event
that I was offered the job, then I would make up my mind using the
information I had gleaned from the interview (with Oz or his foreman).

For many years I had a boss who, by and large, fitted the above
description. I first encountered him when, as an apprentice, I was
attached to his section. The boss I was leaving expressed sympathy
since I was going to be working for "a mad idiot". On completion of
my apprenticeship I applied for, and obtained, a position in the "mad
idiot's" department. He and his deputy are the best two bosses I have
had. I was expected to be competent over quite a wide area and I was
expected to give at least 110%. I was always supported, particularly
after I had messed up. I could always discuss work (and personal)
problems and they were prepared to accept that I had a point and could
be right. I suspect Oz might be similar.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field