Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FrankB FrankB is offline

Default Plum Tree - Silver Leaf

Yesterday I realised I'd made a serious error in sawing off a major
branch )about 5" thick) of a mature plum tree which had been giving the tree
a lopsided look. I only found out today that you should never prune a plum
tree in winter due to susceptibility to silver leaf disease. If I treat the
cut tomorrow by painting with Bayer 'seal and heal' fungicide will that
prevent the problem arising or will 48 hours exposure to the elements of the
wound already be too late?