Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default When to thin

Once upon a time on usenet Terry Coombs wrote:
Well , I've got lots of tomato seedlings now ... and two in most
cells . When do y'all thin your seedlings ? I can do it now , but
then if one dies ... or I can do it when they're bigger , and the
dominant one is more apparent . That approach however uses more of
the finite amount of nutrients available , and maybe thinning now
will make one that wouldn't have been dominant actually be stronger
than ... Decisions decisions !

Here's another decision that I haven't got around to experimenting with
yet.....

What if you're actually pulling out the plants that're slower to grow
vegatively but are better at fruiting when you remove the smaller ones?
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)