Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Peppers and Patience

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:11:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most types of
peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated and are doing well ,
but the only peppers that have shown any progress are the Serranos . So far
there are 5 of 6 cells showing some green . Anaheims never did germinate
last year , this year the seed is from a different source but still haven't
germinated . Sweet peppers and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later
, they're not showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang in there
, it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow .
Patience may well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine !
--
Snag

I had the same problem last year, so I've been doing a bit of study.
Growing/starting hints:
1)Peppers need bottom heat to sprout, soil temps above 75f are required.
2)Sphagnum peat causes germination issues.
3)The hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate.

Good luck,
Steve