Old 02-02-2015, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peppers and Patience

Steve Peek wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:11:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most
types of peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated and
are doing well , but the only peppers that have shown any progress
are the Serranos . So far there are 5 of 6 cells showing some green
. Anaheims never did germinate last year , this year the seed is
from a different source but still haven't germinated . Sweet peppers
and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later , they're not
showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang in there ,
it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow . Patience may
well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine ! --
Snag

I had the same problem last year, so I've been doing a bit of study.
Growing/starting hints:
1)Peppers need bottom heat to sprout, soil temps above 75f are
required. 2)Sphagnum peat causes germination issues.
3)The hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate.

Good luck,
Steve

Well , I have no heat under the shalf , but it is close to our wood
burning stove , the warmest part of the room . I try to maintain 76° - 80°
average room temperature so that shouldn't be a problem . I'm using potting
soil in toilet paper tube halves , no moss AFAIK . The Serranos are now 6
for 6 , I just need to be patient and wait for the rest . I think the
jalapenos are probably the hottest , we're more after flavor than heat .

--
Snag