Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peppers and Patience

Steve Peek wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:11:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most
types of peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated and
are doing well , but the only peppers that have shown any progress
are the Serranos . So far there are 5 of 6 cells showing some green
. Anaheims never did germinate last year , this year the seed is
from a different source but still haven't germinated . Sweet peppers
and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later , they're not
showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang in there ,
it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow . Patience may
well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine ! --
Snag

I had the same problem last year, so I've been doing a bit of study.
Growing/starting hints:
1)Peppers need bottom heat to sprout, soil temps above 75f are
required. 2)Sphagnum peat causes germination issues.
3)The hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate.

Good luck,
Steve

I just made a small shelf above and near the stove to set the pepper trays
on . Will be looking for germination soon ...

--
Snag