Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default first crocus out!

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:52:57 +0100, Martin wrote:

On 3 Feb 2015 11:51:15 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early, although the
snowdrops have been going for weeks now.

Snowdrops since Xmas. Crocuses in flower for a week, despite all rain
sleet snow and hail.

I guess our snowdrops came out just after the new year. They're really
lovely, so long lasting. I wish I knew the variety but they're just them
as was here... the crocuses really give me hope for the beginning of the
end, though!

Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks
away, I don't think it's cold enough to burn the buds.

We have geraniums/pelargoniums in the garden that we forgot to bring in
before the first frosts. They seem to have survived the frost Lowest
this temperature this year so far is around -4C.

That's right where we've gotten to this year. Last year it never froze
at all, not even a ground frost, I hope that doesn't bode ill for late
frosts this year. In spite of the cold, some of the early maples like
Acers ginalla and mandshuricum already have swollen buds and are getting
ready to go.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy