Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers and Patience

On 2/3/2015 3:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 10:45:43 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:11:38 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs
wrote:
I always get frustrated because it seems to take forever for most
types of peppers to germinate . All the tomatoes have germinated
and are doing well , but the only peppers that have shown any
progress are the Serranos . So far there are 5 of 6 cells showing
some green . Anaheims never did germinate last year , this year
the seed is from a different source but still haven't germinated .
Sweet peppers and Jalapenos were planted a couple of days later ,
they're not showing signs yet either . I guess I should just hang
in there , it's only been 9 days and I know they can be slow .
Patience may well be a virtue , but it ain't one of mine ! --
Snag

I had the same problem last year, so I've been doing a bit of study.
Growing/starting hints:
1)Peppers need bottom heat to sprout, soil temps above 75f are
required. 2)Sphagnum peat causes germination issues.
3)The hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate.

Good luck,
Steve

I just made a small shelf above and near the stove to set the pepper
trays on . Will be looking for germination soon ...

--
Snag

The top of the fridge works well if you can get the light there.

Our refrigerator is built in to the camper ... the wife has a chunk of money
that will be available in August . That money will be enough to get the
kitchen framed up and dried in .
Our current living space is a 25' camping trailer connected to a 16 x 24
room with a temporary hallway .

Wow! Shades of the past. We lived in a two bedroom, one bath mobile
home, aka trailer, eight feet wide by 47 feet long, butane heater,
butane stove, all aluminum for our first house. Two kids came along,
1961, 1963, built a real house in 1965. Sort of like camping out but it
was what we could afford. Our garden was bigger than the trailer, as a
matter of fact, the barn I built for the goats, chickens, and rabbits,
was bigger than our trailer. Wife suggested several times that we move
into the barn and put the critters in the trailer.

Thanks for bringing back to mind some very fine memories Snag.

George