Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worms

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Taking the opportunity of a lovely sunny (but very cold) day, I
decided to belatedly turn over my compost heap. Having finished
I suddenly thought all those lovely thin reddish worms that
were snug in the middle of the heap are now exposed to the
frosty air and if they do not get a move on could freeze.

Are worms susceptible to the cold and have I done a silly
thing!

Yes, and no, respectively. They are more likely to die of
dessication, but worrying about a few worms in a compost heap
is a trifle OTT. The bacteria will happily compost any dead
worms for you ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.