Old 05-02-2015, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default first crocus out!

On 05/02/2015 14:22, Spider wrote:
On 04/02/2015 20:15, David Hill wrote:
On 04/02/2015 16:10, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must
be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Strange, here 40 miles inland and 700ft higher snowdrops have
been out for a week or so now. Admittedly the are mostly under
shrubs/hedges, but some are in open ground.

Very few signs of the crocus crop though, but in the churchyard
up the road there is a mass of those pale blue crocuses that
come up without leaves. I'd love to get some of those, but
would feel a little concerned about digging up anything in a
graveyard.

I think what you have there are Colchicum, a lot of different varieties.
As for digging in the graveyard, I doubt you would disturb the
inhabitants, they should be deeper than any bulbs would be.

I would have thought they'd be more likely to be Crocus speciosus,
David. I'm not aware of a pale blue colchicum.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sus_clump3.jpg

If C. speciosus is, indeed, what Roger admires, they're not that hard to
obtain. They usually appear in the late summer/autumn catalogues.

I suppose it depends on where Lilac finishes for you and Blue begins.