Old 06-02-2015, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Ping David E. Ross: rain!

On 02/05/2015 05:50 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/5/2015 12:22 PM, T wrote:
Hi David,

I caught this on the National Weather Service's web site:

"Heavy rain, strong winds expected across Pacific Northwest
and northern California

A weather system tapping into subtropical moisture will
bring abundant rainfall to the Pacific Northwest and
northern California through the weekend. The heaviest
rainfall is expected Thursday night into Friday. Rainfall
amounts in excess of 5 in. are possible through Saturday
evening, especially across northern Calif. This system
will also bring high winds to the region, with gusts up to
60 mph.

Read Mo http://1.usa.gov/1xSPREk

Hope you get some of it down there.

-T

Unfortunately, most storms that affect northern and central California
weaken significantly before they reach southern California. Often, they
do not cross the Tehachapi Mountain ridge.

The latest National Weather Service forecast (2:30 pm Pacific time)
indicates a 50% to 70% chance of rain by Saturday. Many years ago, a
meteorologist told me that means only 50% to 70% of the area will get
any rain with 30% to 50% of the area remaining dry.

However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

The 4km infrared satellite shows it coming!

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/sh...type=ir&size=4