Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default chicken poop

On 6/02/2015 5:45 AM, T wrote:
On 02/04/2015 04:31 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
hand before we spread out sawdust and lime to start the cycle all over
again.

Hi Fran,

1) when used as compost/fertilizer, did/does the sawdust
attract termites?

The sawdust was spread in the sheds so it's primary function was to soak
up any liquid companent of the chook poop. It wouldn't have had
sufficient time to attract termites before it was covered with chook
poop. In addition, the area where we lived and farmed wasn't known for
having termites. They may have been aroudn somewhere but I never heard
of them ever being mentioned till I grew up left home and moved to a
drier climate.

2) did the "line" mess with the bacterial process associated
with the compost process?

"Lime", not "line". We didn't do any composting.