Old 05-02-2015, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default chicken poop

T wrote:
On 02/04/2015 04:31 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
hand before we spread out sawdust and lime to start the cycle all
over again.

Hi Fran,

1) when used as compost/fertilizer, did/does the sawdust
attract termites?

No. Termites don't go seaching for little specks of wood spread through
soil or compost they want solid chunks of dead wood. In any case if
they are endemic attracting them to your garden is not the problem it is
attracting them to timber structures that you want to preserve, such as
your house.

2) did the "line" mess with the bacterial process associated
with the compost process?

-T

If you mean "lime"

"Line" was a typo

it would depend on how much. Ask your supplier if
they use any lime, there may be none, depending on their management
approach. Most likely no problem as chicken litter would not contain
much and a little in your compost may even be beneficial. I have used
chicken litter from commercial sheds, pelletised commercial manure and
the pure manure straight from the chook. The difference is in the
proportion of manure in the product and the freshness. They all work but
the more concentrated and fresh it is the more care you take to prevent
over-dosing.

Hi David,

Thank you!

-T
And the poor dear though we only loved them for their eggs!