Old 05-02-2015, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default When to thin

Once upon a time on usenet ~misfit~ wrote:
[snip]
This summer I've had success bud grafting peaches, nectarines and
several citrus varieties, mostly on dwarfed trees in pots as I rent
and even though I've been in this house for over a decade I don't see
the point in developing a home orchard in-ground. It's got me
thinking... I wish there was a plant that would serve as a perrenial
rootstock for tomatoes, one that I could graft new scion 'wood' to
each spring so I don't loose weeks of potential fruiting time on
growing roots. I love tomatoes but refuse to buy the fake ones
sold in supermarkets.

I'm thinking that a tamarillo plant might serve the purpose of a perrenial
tomato rootstock. I used to grow them but gave up due to mobility issues and
space constraints, gave the plants to goodwill. I never thought of grafting
tomatoes onto them then. Now I see a neighbour has one growing, I might have
to wander over and ask if I can take a cutting of it.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)