Old 08-02-2015, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping David E. Ross: rain!

On 2/7/2015 3:11 PM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
However, heavy storms in northern California are what southern
California needs. Most of our water comes by aqueduct from the north.
Our long-term storage depends more on northern snow-pack than on
reservoirs. I am concerned because the forecast also indicates
above-average temperatures all across California, which will limit the
amount of snow in the north.

it looks like these past few days are dropping a lot
of moisture on the mountain tops so i sure hope that
is adding up to a lot more snow pack for you folks.

songbird

I'm not hopeful about snow. The entire state has been experiencing
above average temperatures.

"Rain years" are measured from 1 October to 30 September of the
following calendar year. That is because most rain falls December
through February. As of 3:00pm Pacific time today, my area has had 6.8
inches of rain so far this rain year. That is more than the entire
rainfall during the 12 months of each of the prior two rain years:
2012-2013 had 5.2 inches and 2013-2014 had 5.9 inches. However, the
average over the rain years 2003-2004 through 2011-2012 was 13.1 inches.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see