Old 08-02-2015, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping David E. Ross: rain!

On 2/8/2015 9:45 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Looks like rain off and on for the next three days.

I do like rain and snow. I can't stand overcast.
I want something to happen. Sunshine is good too.

heh, sunshine is great here when it happens.
in the middle of winter it is really nice to have
a sunny day. it is blinding when the snow is
fresh.

Now if we can only get these storms to go a little
further south so that David can get wet too. :-)

dunno what happened the past few days there but
it does look like more rain for today for the mid-
section and northern parts. as for snow pack reports
the site:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/

is as official as it gets.

songbird

I looked at that site. In terms of snowpack, the picture is bleak.

None of the major state reservoirs are indicated at that site. I prefer
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/EXECSUM, which is only
updated monthly. This one shows "Snowpack Water Content" statewide and
individually for three regions of the Sierras. As of New Year day, the
snowpack ranged from 44% to 56% of the to-date average; state-wide it
was 49%.

That page also lists the 12 major reservoirs operated by the California
Department of Water Resources. A little computation (via copy and paste
into a spreadsheet) shows that, as of the beginning of this year, those
reservoirs held only 34% of their combined capacity.

I anxiously await the 1 February update.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see