Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Saving seeds - paper towelling?

On 08/02/2015 21:11, Judith in England wrote:

We had a very nice tomato from which I kept all the seeds.

After much rinsing I placed them between sheets of paper towelling. When
they were dry I tried to remove them but some (quite a few) have bits of
the paper stuck on.

Wouldn't worry about it. Minor snag is that if your nice tomato was an
F1 hybrid they do not come true from seed.

I wonder if there are any chemicals on the paper that would affect them -
if so is there a better way?

(There were so many I easily can afford to throw away the papery ones but
it would be good to know.)

Won't make a blind bit of difference - the soggy paper might make them a
little more inclined to rot OTOH the antifungals in the paper might
help. Many seeds are packed with a fungal inhibitor and in the old days
some of them with very nasty mercury based ones that meant you really
had to handle the seeds with care when unpacking. The plant seeds were
fine with the heavy metal antifungal poison but humans are not.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown