Old 26-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Jim Webster

Default Harvest worker required (UK)

Dean Hoffman wrote in message
On 1/11/03 5:15 PM, in article , "Jim
Webster" wrote:

HSE stands for Health & Safety Executive. It is the body basically
charged with over seeing safety at work.
Their inspectors range from well informed and useful (don't laugh, I

did
meet one :-)) to hide bound jobs worths.
I suspect that things have got better and worse with the EU. There

is
more emphasis on risk assessment as opposed to making sure things

are
not a quarter of an inch too short or too long, but by definition

you
are now out on your own if something does go wrong.

--
Jim Webster

I remember the earlier posts about livestock tracking. It's

entirely
possible here in Nebraska, U.S.A. for a critter to go its entire life
without inspection. The only inspection would be at the packing

house.
There is a vet at the sale barns to keep a rough eye out for disease

there.
Some areas have brand inspection laws. I don't know how stringent the
tracking is.
We don't have anything like safety inspections on farms. Some

states
require electrical inspections for equipment installed by

professionals. A
farmer can do his own wiring without inspection.

Dean

depending on where you are and what industry, depends on the number of
inspections. While they make a big fuss about agriculture I haven't seen
one for some considerable period (if you don't have employees it helps.)
but if there is an accident then they turn up and are the ones who
organise the prosecution.
Interestingly the H&SE calculated that there was a 99% non-reporting of
accidents on farms. (defined as a case where someone might get a doctor
to check them over,or eould do if it meant time off work)
Given that if you report the accident, not only do you have the problems
of the accident, but also a fine for contravention of whatever
regulation caused the accident, it is hardly surprising.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'