Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default When to thin

In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:
Well , I've got lots of tomato seedlings now ... and two in most cells .
When do y'all thin your seedlings ? I can do it now , but then if one dies
... or I can do it when they're bigger , and the dominant one is more
apparent .

Reading the thread, I seem to be an outlier.

I typically start tomatoes in 4" pots (2" for everything else) with
about 3 seeds per pot (4 if the seed is extra old). I thin (by
cutting) down to 2 plants sometime after 2-3 sets of true leaves.
I leave them as 2 plants until after I set them out.

Once I see what has survived the great outdoors (and any freak cold
spell), I thin to one plant.

Last year's yield was pretty good despite leaf spot. Now that I
know how many ways I brought that on myself, I hope for a less
stressful season this year.

I should have planted the tomato seeds by now, but haven't. Hopefully
this weekend.

--
Drew Lawson | What you own is your own kingdom