Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FrankB FrankB is offline

Default 99p Rambler

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
"FrankB" wrote in message
o.uk...

Just bough a Paul Scarlet rambling rose for 99p in my local 99p store.

At
least that's what it said and looked like in the photo on the carboard
label. Admittedly, not the greatest quality rose, having lied around in

warm store in dark packaging with a few leaves and thin stems with no
chlorophyl, bur we can soon put that to rights. Too good a bargain to
ignore considering many nurseries would charge upwards of £10 for such a
plant. Now potted up, so I shall wait and see.

Good luck and do report back. I bought a pack to grow mushrooms from

the
£1 shop and they were useless.

Has anyone bought stuff from these shops and had a successful outcome?

Bought a rose from Wilkinsons once, almost dead. It really annoys me how
shops don't care at all.
Anyway she was called Night Queen, she is still alive but struggles.
If plants were animals it would be illegal.

If a climbing rose only costs 99p it's worth taking the risk. I've bought
narcissi bulbs (20 Hawera bulbs) and 20 snowdrop bulbs both 99p each in
October 2013. The snowdrops didn't do much last spring but they've really
come on well now giving a fine display at present. The narcissi did well
last spring and lookung forward to them in April.