Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FrankB FrankB is offline

Default Rose pruning advice sought

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
Hi all

I'm erecting a new rose arch for a friend. The previous arch blew down
long since, but of course the roses kept on growing.

Once I have finished the arch I will need to prune the roses (one either
side of the arch) for their benefit.

They have evidently not been well pruned for a long time, judging by the
jungle of growth, hence I'm not sure how to start (or even whether to
start). May I ask: how would you tackle them?

Three pictures:

First shows the site, and the size of the roses (well over six feet in
height, but tied back here so that I can get clear access for erecting
the new arch): http://tinypic.com/r/egrgk5/8

First rose: http://tinypic.com/r/2lu5sh1/8
And the other: http://tinypic.com/r/1115veu/8

I must apologize for using the (now-)dreadful tinypic -- it used to be
oh-so-simple and unadorned, and now it's a frightful mess of
advertising...

Good. basic explanation about pruning climbing roses, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7F5qhChFM