Old 14-02-2015, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Packaged Food

On 15/02/2015 3:52 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
Headline:
Your healthy habits are eating into the packaged foods industry

Well that can't come soon enough IMO.

I thought some here might be interested. An article on how packaged
food profits are down, and attributing it to the assorted "healthy
eating" trends.

Thank you, I did find it interesting. The first thing I found
interesting was the picture of all those cans of food. I don't know
American can labels but from those I could read there was canned
ravioli, lasagna and cheese something or other and I'm sure there was
that distinctive shape of cans of Spam in there.

I can't imagine buying any of those things. I guess I might if I was
homeless or a teenager going camping, but not to eat as a person who
owns a fully functioning kitchen or for either nourishment or because
they taste good.

They aren't going away, but I found it interesting that the effect
was as large as it seems to be (at least according to this author).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/b...oods-industry/

http://preview.tinyurl.com/mcfgnuw

Since the GFC, I suspect for the reading of some of my American based
blogs, there is an increased interest in frugality because of necessity
- although not always stated openly, people seem to still be doing it
tough.

Buying packaged food has never been frugal or even tasty or, IMO, worth
eating. It amazes me that it has taken so long for people to discover
the benefits of eating home cooked food. As a keen cooks since I became
and adult (and told by friends that I'm also a good cook) I'd say that
cooking can be a great hobby and gardening goes hand in hand with good
eating so its no wonder the packaged food industry is losing out.

The most disturbing thing about that article is the mention of eating on
the run and buying MacDonalds and other fast food stuff.

How can people not be organised enough to shop for food and get up early
enough to shower AND have breakafst? We dinosaurs do not understand that.