Old 16-02-2015, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Runnin' out ...

On 2/15/2015 7:54 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 2/15/2015 2:48 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of room ! I kinda knew this was going to be a problem , and had
several ideas in mind . As I repot my seedlings into 4" round pots
it's getting kinda crowded on my window shelf . The square ones
oughta be here tomorrow ... which will help some . I'm moving the
ones in the smallest cells first , they seem to be laggig and I
think it might be because of limited root space . Even with the new
pots , I'm probably going to have to enlarge the shelf - and
probably the one I added above it today . Hopefully this will be
a short-lived problem , I think that by March 1st or so I'll be able to
move them into the little greenhouse I'm
planning to build onto the south side of the house .

What materials will you be using for the greenhouse Snag?

This is more of an overgrown hot box than a green house . The back wall
will be the house , it'll be about 8 feet long , 30" deep and 24" to
30-something tall . The material I have on hand is some plywood siding
cutoffs from a construction job my neighbor worked on and some old window
sashes salvaged from another job . Hinges will be made from strips of
leather that useta cover an office chair .

Use it up then re purpose it, that's the way we do it too. I built a
"hot" box from old window sashes when we remodeled once. Unfortunately a
tornado passed through and dropped a tree on it. No other damage, I may
have insulted the seedling gods inadvertently.

Our neighbors run down to the nearest nursery or big box store to buy
pots. We use the ones that came with plants that went into the ground.
Crockery and glass break, plastic is forever. Although we do have
several old crocks that we bought at garage sales for next to nothing
since they had chips or cracks. Easy as anything to glue crockery back
together. I think we have some small pots that used to be part of the
first dinner service we bought when we married 54 years ago. I think my
wife's family motto is: "Waste not, want not."