Old 16-02-2015, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Runnin' out ...

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

of room ! I kinda knew this was going to be a problem , and had
several ideas in mind . As I repot my seedlings into 4" round pots
it's getting kinda crowded on my window shelf . The square ones
oughta be here tomorrow ... which will help some . I'm moving the
ones in the smallest cells first , they seem to be laggig and I
think it might be because of limited root space . Even with the new
pots , I'm probably going to have to enlarge the shelf - and
probably the one I added above it today . Hopefully this will be a
short-lived problem , I think that by March 1st
or so I'll be able to move them into the little greenhouse I'm
planning to build onto the south side of the house . The key will be
night-time temps . I'll need to maintain minimum 40° to 45°
overnight temps before I dare move them out . Insulation may be
called for ... because 65° would be much better

50F is really as far as you need to shoot for night-time temps. Seeds
grown "in the house" at 65F have a harder time transitioning to the
out-doors when the time comes. If you are around and will get up to
move it off not too long after sun-up, some insulation over the glass
at night will help. You can use row-cover fabric if you might not get
to it for a while in the morning - not as good insulation, but better
light transmission than a blanket, old quit, paper mill felt, bags of
leaves, etc...

Part of the reason for doing this is to have the ability to harden the
plants to outdoor conditions so there won't be a shock when they go into the
garden .

--
Snag