Old 16-02-2015, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Packaged Food

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 15/02/2015 9:52 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Don't use any ingredient your grandma didn't use" Well my grandma
never saw a zucchini, a capsicum or a chilli, and pasta was something
those odd people with funny accents down the road would eat.

I went in search of one of my really ancient cook books because I've
seen this comment online abobut pasta before and meant to check it out
because I thought it was not right. Grandma would have called it
Macaroni. Recipes for Macaroni and cheese appear in cook books back
in the 19th C.

Pasta is quite an old food. It was certainly eaten in Oz in the first half
of the 20th C and the Chinese imigrants in the goldfields in the 1850s
probably ate noodles. Pasta didn't become widespread though until after the
imigations following WW2 and it didn't reach every cupboard in suburbia
until the 1970s by my recollection.

As I suggested before she would have known of the existence of pasta as an
exotic food but my Gran never cooked it - didn't know how. She imigrated in
about 1905 from Germany and lost most of the cooking she learned there and
adopted the local overcooked meat (mainly lamb and beef), taters and
overboiled veg (sigh).

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their