Old 16-02-2015, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Packaged Food

In article
Fran Farmer writes:
On 17/02/2015 3:54 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

I can only speak for myself, and the answer would be ignorance. I
don't really know how to cook much. I know how to follow a recipe,
but I can't look in the fridge and think of what can be done with
what I see. Fortunately, I am also an exceedingly boring person,
so I am okay with eating a small number of dishes. (Leftovers from
roasting a 9 lb chicken can carry me pretty far.)

:-)) My response to that sort of comment is that if you can turn on an
oven, use a knife, have a set of saucepans and a casserole dish, can
stir with a wooden spoon, fill a pot with water or pour oil from a
bottle into a fry pan then you already have the physical skills for
being a cook.

There is some potential irony there in that my start on that skillset
was baking box-mix cakes. I'd come home after school, while my
parents were still at work, and bake a cake. Then eat a quarter
of an angel-food cake as a snack. Not exacty healthy habits, but
I learned to whip egg whites and what "fold" meant.

In college, I couldn't afford the mixes, so I learned a few more
things. One semester I think I lived mostly on coffee and spice
cake.

From there it's about your willingness to feed yourself
well so it helps if you love eating good food.

You can use recipe sites to cure your lack of inspiration. For example,
if you look in the fridge and see a chicken breast, some carrots and a
few mushrooms, go to one of the cooking sites

Well, if *I* look in fridge and see mushrooms, it means I need to
clean the fridge.

(I use taste.com.au) and
put those 3 ingredients in and the site will come back with lots of
recipes. For example, when i plugged these 3 ingredients in, this
recipe, which I have decided I will now try, came back:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2267...table+rissoles

--
Drew Lawson | What you own is your own kingdom