Old 17-02-2015, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Packaged Food

On 17/02/2015 9:26 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Fran Farmer writes:
On 17/02/2015 4:03 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Unless I've cooked something with major left-over potential, it can
be a challenge for me to get out the door in the morning with
something for lunch. I used to end up with something-on-a-bun
several times a week. When I cut out the buns and fries, I had to
play more carefully. I still end up ar Chipotle about once a week
for lunch.

Is that because you don't include lunch foods into your shopping list?
I know a lot of people don't for a lot of their working lives.

I'm not exactly sure what "lunch foods" are.

TMWOT it is anything that is your preferred food at lunch. For me, in
summer that was often meat that I'd roast and so could use the cold meat
in my salads, or I'd buy sliced ham for the same purpose. That sort of
thing was what I liked in summer.

I've cut out most
bread, so I don't make sandwiches. I could pack up the content of
a sandwich, but would need to do that in the evening. The morning
schedule is too hectic.

I can understand why sandwich fixing in the morning would get old real
quick.

My favorite lunch is pot-roast leftovers, but I don't often think
to buy a roast.

:-)) There is a possible answer to your lunch problem: buy one
regularly so you can have it in your lunches perhaps?? If you can make a
packet angel cake you can make a pot roast.

When I was still working, if I wanted a hot lunch I used to do freezer
packs specifically for my lunches (my SO likes sandwiches but I was
never overly keen on them). I'd fill make a whole lot of disposable
containers full of my lunch food in the freezer and then grab one pack
as I left the house in the morning. These could be left over roast and
veg or soup or casserole or whatever I'd cooked a bulk lot of at some
time on the weekend. I learned to love my crock pot in winter.

That use dto be my wife's meal to cook, but it no
longer fits her left-over preferences, so she doesn't volunteer
much. I can eat lasagne for a week, but since it makes her sugar
spike, I don't cook it as often as I used to.

Could you cook it and, when cold, cut it up and put it in packs in the
freezer for your lunch for the coming week????

I have lots of cookbooks that I should use, but trying something
unfamiliar when I only have about 2 hours left to the day after
work is not inviting.

Wow. That sounds like one of those work/life balance situations that
could drive you bonkers in the long run.