Old 22-02-2015, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default resisting temptation

George Shirley wrote:
On 2/22/2015 11:02 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
yesterday out and about, saw packages of bean seeds
i did not have already on display. i looked, i had
the packages in my hand, read the descriptions and
had to tell myself that i really did not need even
more varieties that i don't have room to grow.

i put them back, someone else will have to give them
a new home. later on, if they have them for half price
or better i'll reserve the right to change my mind...

songbird

What kind of bean ? We actually I , but ... grew Kentucky Wonder
last year , but decided we don't particularly like the flavor . This
year we're ... going to grow some Blue Lake , since that's the
most common AFAIK canned bean on the grocery shelf . Hey , the
flavor you're used to might be the best one to grow for home canning
. On a side note , my seedlings are doing great 'maters and
peppers except the Anaheims and Jalapenos , both of which I've
reseeded in new containers because the first planting didn't
germinate after 3 weeks . Might need more patience ...

I've grown Blue Lake, Contenders, and, this year, Kentucky Blue will
be planted. Contender or Blue Lake have always been good ones for us
but I'm hoping the Kentucky Blue will be a better flavored bean.

I would be planting now but there is a threat of a frost this week.

Most of the ice from the recent storms has melted ... we're expecting snow
later today . Right now it's just above freezing with an expected low
tonight up here in The Holler in single digits ... last freeze here is
usually in mid April .

--
Snag