Old 23-02-2015, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default resisting temptation

On 2/23/2015 10:38 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

I would be planting now but there is a threat of a frost this week.

We've just cleared what I hope is the last bout of freezing or
near-freezing overnight temperatures that have helped me rationalize my
failure to plant in a timely manner this spring ;-). At least days have
been relatively warm and sunny—except for the rain—and it dropped to
freezing before about 4AM on only one night so for the most part it was
very cold very briefly. Temps have warmed but now we're anticipating a
couple of rainy days which may bring more chilly weather; who knows.
The window for planting "cool season" crops is closing and the
on-off again "minivernalisations" of Florida winter will have the fall
greens bolting any day now. If the weather stays warm, there may be
little point to planting carrots but I will, anyway, of course: Having
been kept by cats for 40 years, I recognize that expectation is the
largest part of most enterprises ;-) Still have time for one more
"late" (Spring) planting of "little marvel" peas. They should be good
'til May or June. As a rule, they eventually succumb to powdery mildew
(April-May) and/or heat (June). That last planting will coincide with
the _first_ planting of a new-to-me OP variety labeled "Wando" that is
promoted by the seed vendor as more heat-tolerant than most other garden
peas. I have no knowledge of their growth habit or flavor.
Almost time for tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, beans, etc. Except
for the beans, cool soil is not an issue in my raised beds after
mid-late February so most years I just wait for consistently warm-enough
overnight air temperatures and direct-seed, planting only what I intend
to eat plus a little for the freezer.

Have you tried crowder or blackeyed peas? They generally like the heat
of mid to late summer and produce well. Crowder peas were my money crop
when was a kid. Planted three acres of them along old highway 90 in
Orange County, TX (Pre interstate highways). Pick your own for one
price, I would pick them for a higher price. Crowders and blackeyed peas
have been a staple in the south for a long time. I grow crowders along
the six-foot board fence in the backyard and hang string for them to
climb. There are also crowders that are bush type. Might be worth a shot.