Old 25-02-2015, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default lentils and pulses

On 26/02/2015 1:21 AM, Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Does anybody have any experience of growing lentils and pulses? What
climate do they work well in? Of the hundreds of varieties do any suit a
warm temperate region with hot humid summers? How about soil type?

Not directly responsive _but_.... I asked a similar question in
the NG a few years back and the consensus of qualified responses was
that lentils' yield does not warrant the space required and the
difficulty in extracting them from their pods so I stopped considering
lentils for my (small) home garden.

:-)) That lack of space wouldn't worry David or I since we are both on
acreage. The lack of yield would be of more concern. So thanks for
that bit of info.

OTOH, a significant number of the
planet's human population depends on lentils as a protein source and,
surely, they don't all just pick them up in little bags at the
supermarket?
However, it seems to me that after lentils are dried extraction and
separation should be fairly straighforward so the challenge is to find a
variety that works in ones growing conditions. If you decide to try a
test planting, I'd be interested in learning your results.

It sounds like a group project might be a good plan. :-))