Old 27-02-2015, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default When to thin

Once upon a time on usenet Michael Evangelista wrote:
Absolutely. I hated tomatoes as a kid. Then I realized i wasn't
actually eating tomatoes all that time : )

Thanks for the info about the cuttings, right now my tomatoes are
about 1" tall so i have a while to read and learn. I've had great
success in our backyard garden with tomatoes and peppers every year,
but haven't paid much attention to the plants, more of a set and
forget mentality. Now I'm getting more into different ways of
trellising, cutting the plants, determinate vs. indeterminate, so
much more to learn!

Do youself a favour - remove a lateral from a tomato plant and stick it into
moist.... anything really! Seedraising mix is good but potting mix will do,
a container of ~200ml size is enough to start a cutting. Just make sure it's
not in direct sunlight but gets reasonable diffuse light and trim back any
large leaves so it doesn't demand water that the nonexistant roots can
supply. Before very long roots will form to fill that need for water and
nutrients and you'll have a new plant.

You can do the same with the peppers, they grow well from cuttings too. Not
as well as the tomatoes so maybe try those first?

Best of luck with your gardening endeavours.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)