Old 01-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Mauricio Drelichman

Default Pomegranate training

Hi All,

Last spring I acquired a two-year old pomegranate grown from seed. Given my
residential restrictions, I am treating it as an indoor tree.

As soon as I got it, it went into the training pot. It immediately started
to grow vigorously, and has kept doing so to this day. My concern, however,
is that it seems to only grow vertically. As much as I cut back, it keeps
sending its branches straight up, and it doesn't back-bud. The main trunk
also does not thicken appreciably.

I get the feeling that, after one year, I am exactly were I started. The
tree is healthy, but I don't seem to be getting even incipient girth or
branching. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Best,

Mauricio