Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default lentils and pulses

On 1/03/2015 4:35 PM, Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

:-)) That lack of space wouldn't worry David or I since we are both on
acreage. The lack of yield would be of more concern. So thanks for
that bit of info.

I have plenty of room to expand but no motivation to do so.

Wise man beign so sensible!

I can't stop myself, but the end of my expansion will be when I ask
Himself to move the fences out. He'd say no, however.. .......... we've
just been advised that there are new rules to apply to our septic tank
leach field and we have to fence it off so that stock can't walk over
it. To include that area, we'll have to enclose another acre at least
so that it forms a logical shape with the rest of the area around the
house so I might just have to have more productive area - this tiem it
will be productive bushes though such as gooseberried and Blueberries
and some dwarf stock apples or peaches.

Currently have nine (nominally) 3ftx8ft raised beds plus a variable
number of containers, primarily consisting of halved 60-gal.
olive/pickle barrels. Enough to keep two old farts in seasonal fresh
veggies with a few for the freezer.

:-)) I find my biggest challenge in the veg garden is keeping up the
supply of the fresh greens. We too are two old farts but I do a
delivery to the offspring. Today it was apples, plums, tomatoes and
eggs. What produce do you generally feed your freezer? I've fed mine
plums, raspberries and tomatoes in the last few days but it will get a
few more feeds of apples in the next few days.

I'm on 4+ acres with only enough
cleared to accommodate two dwellings, a small barn and the attendant
flotsam that seems so necessary to human beings. The remainder (as well
as most of the surrounding similarly-sized tracts) has remained
unmolested since the middle 1960's at the latest. I am allowing more of
the area to naturalize over time with certain knowledge that,
ultimately, it will be paved parking lot (car park? what do you call
them in Oz?) equivalent.

Either of those would be be acceptable, but more people would probably
say 'car park'.