Old 02-03-2015, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default Saturday in the garden

Once upon a time on usenet Derald wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote:

You call that miserable?

Miserably cold or chilly, that is.

Here just south of Auckland New Zealand it's over 30ºC both outside
and inside my house and very humid.

30°C is the typical late summer temperature range (inside and out)
where I live in Florida, USA, and I love it!

I was born in England and spent my childhood there. Even in winter I was
very warm. Long after it was necessary my mother would hold my hand when she
walked us to school because my hands were always warm. Then my parents
bought me to a fairly hot climate and I've never been comfortable in summers
since - I used to love them! Now I like autumn for the temperature but alas,
the plants are all dying back then.

Since FL is a narrow
peninsula, the humidiy is a constant but it does not approach what one
experiences further north along the US "mid-Atlantic" seaboard.

I met a guy on-line who's in FL. He works outside all day removing old
fronds from palm trees and the like for the council and is brown as a nut!

No, not a lot of gardening going on at those temps, although, okra,
eggplant and a few other "heat lovers" continue to thrive. In this
climate, the gardening year begins in Sept-Oct. (depending on
temperatures) and begins to fade in late June, early July.
The only cuttings I take are from tomatoes and rooting them is pure
zydeco: Just poke them in the ground and keep them moist. I
occasionally cover them with a cloche fashioned from a translucent
plastic one-gallon milk jug.

Yeah, I can do that too but, being an invalid with linited mobility, I
prefer to do most of my propogating close to the house and at bench level. I
put them in the ground when they have enough roots so thay can manage
without me keeping them moist too regularly.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)