Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:07:40 PM UTC-5, hubops wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.
No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.
So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)
Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.
TIA
HB

I am not in a similar climate, but I've been growing my own plants from seed for many years. My choices are based on flavor mostly.
1) Cherokee purple, There seem to be different strains of this old heirloom. My favorite is from Park's Seed co.
2)tie for yellow toms
Yellow Brandywine
Russian orange
3) Pineapple, beautiful red/yellow striped, very sweet
4) sweet 100, small salad toms, highly productive. 1 plant per person will yield a glut of small toms for juicing.

Just my $.02 worth,
Steve

What climate are you in Steve ?
.. not that it's the prime factor ..
The recommendations are always appreciated.
John T.

I'm in Western NC, SE USA. We're frost free from mid-May through mid-October.