Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in
similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic
tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

When I was in San Jose (not the same, but some similarities), I
still had Celebrity as my standard, and it did just fine.

Beefsteaks aren't my thing this century, so the flavor is not easy
to recall or comment on. And my climate these days (western Ohio)
is nothing like yours, for which we are probably both thankful.

Just (about a month past intention) planted the tomato seeds today
-- Black Plum, Amish Paste, and Opalka.

I love Black Plum. Amish Paste (ox heart) is on it's 3rd year of
probation, but those years have each had problems so I'm not ready
to kick it out. Opalka (also ox heart) is a new one. I've read
good things online, but not tasted them.

Cheapskate moment: While planting the seeds, I checked the packet
dates (for the repeats). This is the 4th year of planting on one
($3) packet of Black Plum, and I've had 8-10 plants each year.
Still have a few seeds left for next year as well. Last year, I
think I had 19 sprouts from 20 seeds. Seed Saver's stuff does well,
at least when stored in a refrigerator.

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when