Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:33:48 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 2/03/2015 12:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

Isn't anyone who lives in the same country going to tell him what
tomatoes they grow and why they like them?

I've done my bit and I don't even live in the same country as HN.

Thanks, Fran. Appreciate all the input. Geographic boundaries matter less than climate/soil/water,etc. so shout-outs from Down Under always welcome.

My soil is pretty good, per T's comment, and I do amend several times a year when the City offers free compost.

Note that Fran said "hot, dry summers". Ours are dry, but not hot; fairly mild, at least until climate change really became noticeable. With our water rates going WAY up (fierce citizen opposition to the Council's actions) I hope summer/fall crops don't need too much more water!

Still making up mind. Have been to Lisse sites; under active consideration..

A number of kind NG members have posted kudos for sweet, juicing, etc. All desirable qualities, but I emphasized SHARP, ACIDIC.

Drew Lawson in similar climate to mine mentioned Celebrity, a standard on So. Calif coastal. I've tried it a few times; ok, but...I want to be adventurous this year, tomato-wise.

I'm not into BIG tomatoes, nor do I have much experience -- like zero -- with Heirlooms. Have read some mildly snarky comments on the "Heirloom mystic" but have no experience to contribute.

One thing I WILL do this year, starting NOW is get my *** in gear so I don't rush out & buy plants at the last moment instead of sowing seed.

Any more sharp-acidic recommendations welcome.

Thanks to all

HB