Old 05-03-2015, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lentils and pulses

George Shirley wrote:
A friend tried to explain the Vacola method but I never understood it
completely. We hot water bath fruit, jellies and jams here but use a
different jar, one with a ring and a self-sealing lid when boiled.
Here's a website that has all the info on that: http://nchfp.uga.edu/

The vacola system is quite simple. The jar has a shallow slot around the
top. You stretch an annular rubber seal into that slot. You then pack the
jar and put a metal lid on it that sits on the rubber seal. You add a metal
clip that holds the lid down tight and process in the normal way. When cool
you take the clip off. The lid now magically stays on as the processing
drives out the air from the jar but as it cools the seal prevents it from
re-entering. So you have a sterile vacuum sealed jar. In the case of fruit
it will last for years.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their