Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Houseplant shrivelling

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 12:43:54 -0000, Spider wrote:

On 02/03/2015 23:54, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a houseplant which I moved into a larger pot (as it was consuming
the water very rapidly, it had outgrown the small pot). As soon as I
did this, the leaves have shrivelled up. AFAIK I'm not over or under
watering it, and there are no signs of beasties. What's wrong with it?

Could you have over-potted it (to save potting it on next time, perhaps)
which would mean the excess compost would be holding too much moisture,

I didn't know that was possible. Surely in the wild outside, plants have infinite pot size.

I increased the pot volume by probably double.

or failed to bring the new compost to room temperature so that the roots
had a thermal shock?

I didn't know they were as bad as goldfish! I did the repotting indoors, but I had brought the compost from outside shortly beforehand. Mind you the new compost is only on the edges, the roots are in the old compost which was at room temperature. Wouldn't it get just as much thermal shock when I put cold water in it to water it?