Old 05-03-2015, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default lentils and pulses

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 5/03/2015 10:48 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 4/03/2015 4:18 AM, Derald wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

Green beans don't freeze well in home freezers but
they're tolerable in January, when there's not a fresh bean in
sight unless one is willing to pay exhorbitant prices for those
things the grocery stores sell.

:-)) On the few occasions I've bothered to look at sites online
that showed the prices of food in the US, I can't believe how cheap
it is. You would not like the prices we pay in Oz.

snip

Pressure canners have only fairly recently
become available int his country...
Goodness; I find that surprising but I do remember seeing, in an
online catalog, types of containers no longer used here. Seems to
me the lid-sealing arrangement differed.

I'm sure the pressure canners haven't been available here because
really there has never been a real need for them. Most of our
country is snow free all year round and only a small part of the
country gets any snow at all and so our shops all stock large
quantities of fresh fruit and veg all year round. It's all
affordable even the tropical stuff when in season. Our climate
generally allows keen gardeners to produce fresh product all year
round to some degree. For example, I live in a cold climate but I
still can eat something out of my garden even in the depths of
winter. David H-S who live sin amuch warmer climate can grow far
wider range than I can but perhaps he is too warm and humid for
growing good apples.

We should get together and compare sin where we live sometime.

I know you live inland a long way north of me. I had placed you from
the things you'd said and the weather conditions reported at times
when you said certain things as being inland in a triangle bounded by
Taree, Musswellbrook, Newcastle. How close is that fit?

That's where I live but you missed out on the sin part.

My chooks never seem to do any harm to our trees. Teh worst problem
so far is that one hen got inside the nettign and I dint notice she
was missing and then realised she'd been out in the open under the
tree without water or food for 3 days and we'd had a humungeous storm
in that time. Poor thing. She survived but was thirsty by the time
I foudn her. I felt very guilty.

Ours will jump up to peck at the low hanging fruit.

These are milk crates that hold about 20kg (45lbs) of fruit. So the
Packam had about 140kg (310lbs) of fruit, some branches were broken.

I have had the same trouble with one of my prune trees this year. I
knew i should have put props under the branches and didn't. I felt
guilty again.

The common preserving method used here was known as the Fowlers
Vacola method (hot water bath) and that covered the sort of
preserved food most households ate here ie fruit. Preserved veg
was never popular when home preserving was a big hobby/domestic
habit.

I will bottle some and freeze some and try to give away most of the
pears before they rot.

Make soem pear juice? I've made apple juice in the Vacola using very
large jars and it was lovley int he depths of winter.

good idea

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their